REAL ESTATE, IT'S WHAT'S HAPPENING...
Choosing the right color for the walls can be a real stressor. It looks good on the sample, but how can you possibly know what the final results will be? Here are a few tips for picking the right color.
1. Paint a sample on the wall. A big sample. Let it dry, sit and look at it. Walk away for a while, then come back and look at it again at different times of the day. The lighting in the room will change the way you perceive the color as the sun shines differently throughout the day.
2. If the color will be painted over a primer, apply the primer to the test area first, then the sample over the primer. Colors will look different on parts of the wall with primer.
3. If it is a kitchen color, make sure and sample the color with the cabinets, flooring, moulding, and counters.
4. If you aren’t sure about the color, go back to the paint store and get more samples. Never be afraid to try other options.
5. Try Pintrest or other online sites for examples of room colors that you like. Designers get paid big bucks to pick out those color schemes. If they are willing to share their ideas, be willing to take them.
6. Decide what you will be doing in that room. What sort of tone are you trying to set in the space. Is it a calm and inviting space like a bedroom? Or more active like the kitchen? Darker colors work best in places like a media room. If you are going for a burst of energy and excitement, choose colors that are complementary. If you aren't sure what colors are complementary, check out a color wheel. Many of these are easily accessible online through a simple internet search.
April Holtzclaw is a Real Estate Agent and 30 year resident of Metro Atlanta. When not working, she enjoys camping, traveling with her family and mountain biking with her husband on the trails in the Atlanta area. Her favorite way to finish the day is with an “al fresco” dinner at one of the many great restaurants in town.